Thursday, May 8, 2014

Can You Get A Crew Together?


I love getting the calls every week from prospects looking for me to get a crew together. Typical conversations dont start with "Can you get a crew together?". This past week I decided to have some fun with the person on the other line. Here is the conversations:

ME: "Hello, this is Justin how can I help you"

Bill: " Hey Justin, my name is Bill and I got several properties were looking to rehab and I wanted to know if you have a crew or can put a crew together?"

ME: "WOW, Bill where did you get my information?" "I would love to help you, tell me more"

Bill: Goes on and on about investors, and addresses, and working with tight budgets, etcccc...(Minimum 7.5 minute explanation)

ME: "So, who referred me to you?"

Bill: "I got your info online and I like the name of your company, are you interested in these project?"

If you have been in business for decent amount of time you have come across this type call. They have no clue what you do and really have no interest in knowing about you or the value you bring to the deal. I am not interested in going through the hiring process for someone I dont know. Testing strangers out on customers I have never worked with before. Supervising multiple jobs and being pulled away from existing customers. What do people really think about what I do? Do they devalue my trade so much that they think I wave a magic get er done wond and the project comes together..

I usually let them off with I am too busy or I am just not interested. I decided to see how far Bill wanted to go with this. I meet him today and will follow up with everyone next week.

How do you handle this, tell me your story?

Comments welcome.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Justin, my favorite calls are similar but they are often from companies that you can tell were formed last week. First tip off is no website, and they refer to their partners alot. "I'll have to get with my partners and get back to you", LOL.
    Nothing against people that just started their business, but that also doesn't mean we want to extend credit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cliff I love extending credit. I am glad to see I am not the only one getting these calls. Thanks for always stopping by..Justin

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing wrong with extending credit. Credit is just another term for measurement of risk. In my experience, building meaningful relationships with customers has been my success. At this point I would investigate them. Check they're background. Get some references. Meet them face to face and get a feel for who they are and if they have a sense of integrity. If that checks out, measure the risk. If the risk versus the benefits is a ratio is one that meets or exceeds your standards in business, give it a shot and start slow. It may just turn into a meaningful relationship with a profitable benefit.

    ReplyDelete