Friday, May 2, 2014

Does Work Keep You Awake At Night?

TIP FOR SLEEPING BETTER...WRITE IT DOWN

I love to get work done at night. Its the only time the house is quiet and most productive for me. The kids are in bed, I can grab my job folders and knock everything out for a week in just a few hours. Then I would read until I fell asleep. I would dream about each job and what had to go were the next day. I would play my schedule in my head. The alarm clock goes off and the day begins. Around 2-3 pm I would need a pick me up, coffee or energy boost to make it through the day.

Does this sound typical with you?

The problem for me happened when I couldn't drink coffee anymore.

What was I going to do? I needed my pick me up in the afternoon.

I researched several options about coffee replacement drinks and found  a bunch of synthetic drinks and herbs that I didn't want to take. I cold turkey'd the coffee and had headaches for a week. Withdraws suck.

I then focused on getting more sleep and changing my late night routine. Go to bed earlier, wake up earlier and get some work done. This worked but, I was still dreaming about work and not getting the proper sleep....

I was fortunate enough to listen to someone recently faced with the same nightmares about work. This person would lay in bed half awake dreaming about there to do list. Awful night sleep led to poor performance and professional help. After thousands of dollars trying to find a cure for this late night curse, they were asked to write down what they were thinking about. SOLUTION: Take your to do list and write it out. Beautiful night sleep ever since.

I personally tried this 3 months ago and it works like a charm. If your dreaming about work, write down the dream on paper with your handwriting and get it out of your brain.

Let me know how this works for you and if you have a tip?

No comments:

Post a Comment