Thursday, January 16, 2014

Can You Give Me A Rough Estimate?



I get several calls a day from potential prospects wanting me to give prices over the phone. On this particular job the prospect wanted the above bathroom fixed. They asked if I could price this over the phone. Instead of giving what kind of ball park typical response "Wrigley or Fenway Park".  

I go through my qualifying questions to build a little rapport:

Me: When did the bathroom tile fall of the wall?

Prospect: We started to notice the issue a little over a year ago.

Me: When would you like me to complete the repairs/replacement?

Prospect: Were gathering estimates at this point. Once we decide who we like, we want completed asap.

Me: Do you own the home?

Prospect: We dont own the home. We are getting estimates for the Landlord who lives out of town.

Me: When is owner available for an appointment if necessary?

Prospect: He asked us to handle.

Me: Can you send me a picture with info so I can get an idea of what needs to be done?

I got the above response. Pictures and contact info. What is your next step? Leave your response below?

2 comments:

  1. In this scenario you're almost certainly wasting your time. You're not speaking with the decision maker and no matter what kind of recommendations you make pertaining to how the job should be done, no mater what options you present all the land lord is going to hear from the renter is "one guy was $3,000.00 ... the second one was $3,500.00 and the third guy we talked to was $4,650.00

    Never ... under any circomstances do you price anything over the phone (at least not in the contracting business) if you doubt this, try it a few times. As soon as you give the caller any kind of price ... a range, a firm price, an estimate based on square footage ... as soon as any numbers leave your mouth you'll soon hear "ok ... thank you ... bye!' and you'll never hear from them again. Why? because you just gave them exactly what they wanted with no ability to get a commitment from them ... which is exactly what they want. Here's how to handle price over the phone inquires; first of all you have to be certain not to communicate that you could give them a price over the phone but you won't - the first step is to get their contact information, but they'll be reluctant to give it, so start by checking your call ID, (maybe you'll see a name and phone number) then ask "what part of town are you in?" Let them answer .... and what's your name? ... Hi Mary ... my name's Mike. Then ask ... can you tell me a little about the issue your experiencing? Let them explain ... ask a few questions ... then no matter what they say, find some complication that necessitates you seeing the job followed by ... "you know Mary I'm going to be in that part of town on Thursday ... will you be around so I can pop in an take a quick look-see? .... "well, can't you just give me a ball-park price now?" .... "jeeeze, Mary without seeing it ... especially with that plumbing issue you mentioned, nobody can give you even a close ball-park price with out taking a look at it ... like I said, I will be in that part of town Thursday will you be around? "NO we won't be around then" "OK ... well when would be a good time for me to stop by?" It's not going to cost you anything and it'll only take a few minutes ..."

    So ... that's how you handle that kind of call. If Mary agrees to have you stop by, gently probe to see if Mr. Mary will be there ... if you don't, then all you'll hear after you asses the issue, give her a price and ask if she want's to go ahead with it is ... "OK well, let me check with my husband and we'll get back to you"

    There's a bit more to all this as you can imagine, but that's the direction you want to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russell,
      Great way to break down the conversation until the dial tone. We have all been there.

      I like your approach gathering Initial contact info.

      Delete